Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Lady who Lunches

Last week, surrounded by great self-made fanfare, I returned to my blog. Now I am faced with a few harsh realities:
  1. days are getting shorter leaving less daylight hours to take photographs of food
  2. taking pictures of your food at the work cafeteria makes you look like a weirdo
  3. the "Program" the Workaholic insists on following is restrictive (it's a program, not a diet)
  4. I spend a lot of time cooking as a result of aforementioned Program
Last week had a few fun lunches that were relatively easy:
  • the homemade summer rolls
  • a chickpea and arugula salad
  • a quinoa and black bean salad
  • black bean salad with fresh corn, avocado and tomatoes
The chickpea and arugula salad has been a mainstay of the program. Easy to prepare and it keeps overnight.
Contents:
chickpeas (from a can, then drained)
arugula
chopped tomatoes
chopped grilled eggplant & zucchini
(tip: grill a bunch of things & add to sandwiches, salads or dinner through the week)
chopped red onion
red wine vinegar
olive oil




Part of the pleasure of bringing my own lunch when we have a fully catered canteen is the reaction of my coworkers. When I brought my Quinoa Salad with Black Beans, my lunch date asked me if he could be in the picture. Behold my salad & my coworker:
Contents:
Cooked quinoa
Black beans (dried & then cooked)
parsley
tomatoes
red onions
olive oil
apple cider vinegar









The next day, I had the pleasure of a surprise visit from an old friend. I was so engrossed with catching up, I got back to my desk only to realize, I had no photos. I quickly called the Workaholic and he has happy to oblige. I quickly discovered that the Workaholic is in a much darker environment than I am.

Contents:
Black beans (the dried kind are the best I can find in Germany)
grilled corn, shucked
chopped tomaotes
chopped avocado
lime juice
cilantro
chili

Fruit Salad:
Pear
Blueberries
1/2 Kiwi
Cranberry juice to keep it from looking gross

That's it. A week of lunches. Let's see if I can find anything new this week. While still adhering to The Program, of course.

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin